Sunday, December 5, 2010

Nipa Hut in Coliat


Nipa Hut in Coliat
By Taga Ibaan Ako

Lately, I’ve been frequenting Barangay Coliat looking for Lola Tonia for her story and some people whom I can talk with regarding the old house and old image of St. James the Greater. I hope to do a video documentary on Lola Tonia and her husband’s life as my first feature on PAMILYANG IBAAN category of Taga Ibaan Ako Novelty Center. And the old house for NAKARAAN SA IBAAN. During those times that I’ve been snooping around, I noticed one nipa hut in its plain, basic and simplest form. Located less than a stone-throw-away from the high way, you won’t have difficulty finding it since it’s the only bamboo-made and inspired structure lined up among and trying to make its presence felt with concrete houses standing tall and proud in the area. Without any steel bars in its four walls, a lowly it may seem, the nipa hut is fixed directly on the ground with wide open front panel; giving way for everyone to see what it has to offer. This somehow reminded of Christmas fast approaching, though I could hardly think of it.

One time, purposely stopped in front of it. I was to see a friend of mine Donn Guerra. Donn's house is located some steps away from the back of the hut. I took a peek inside of it on my way, just to be surprised by someone screaming on top of his lungs calling my name. When I turned around, I saw Kuya Goring Reyes whom I haven’t seen for years! His hair has gone lesser with some golden strands around his head –showing signs of old age. Shoulders are almost both weighted down by years of hard work with few lines on his forehead. He invited me inside the hut and offered me a seat; then started walking back in time when I used to him at St. James the Greater Parish. I was happy to see him. He and my Dad Peping Perez were good buddies back when Tatay Peping used to be a Commentator and a leader of one church-related organization. He talked so much of good things about my Tatay Peping. And I’m flattered to hear that. But the mood changed. I felt some strings of my flesh being pulled off my skin when he told me how he has been lately.

Kuya Goring has been working as maintenance/helper at Saint James the Greater Parish for so long I could remember –say, more than 20 years? Parish Priests come and go almost year after year. Yet, he was kept in job for his sincerity and loyalty to the service of God’s flock. At meager amount of salary, he was able to give his family a decent life –at least somehow. Unfortunately, year of the tiger cut short his luck. With the coming of new administration of the church, he was stripped off of his job and was replaced by –according to him- someone brought in by the new administration. I heard of it actually around June. But I didn’t know it was him. My sister even told me that Kuya Goring was asking if there’s anything I can do about it since he knows I know the newly assigned priest (I was a seminarian back then). I kept mum on it. And now his story boomeranged on me. A direct hit.

But life is a war by itself. And there are casualties. We don’t intend to throw anything on anyone with this article. I myself respect the management’s prerogative to reorganize things to the best that they can think of to benefit the institution. However, there’s one war that Kuya Goring afforded me with which I couldn’t put my defenses on. The war on plate with his ginisang kalabasa, sitaw and okra, dressed with sautéed pork meat, and fried or pritong galunggong. His nipa hut is actually a carinderia offering home cooked Filipino family dishes.

To my delight, I gorged on three cups of rice almost drowning with a bowl full of ginisang gulay. The vegetables perfectly blended with the taste of the yellowish sauce due to kalabasa (squash), bringing little momentary ant bites on my tongue due to shots of fine black pepper powder. I miss this kind of cuisine. Although I got my cooking stuff back home where I stay in Batangas City, I hardly find time to cook one. My work renders me inutile in the kitchen.

And yes, the fried galunggong! Kuya Goring was able to make them crunchy –so crunchy I could hear them cracking inside my mouth. Nope, they’re not hard fried. The dignity of the fish meat was kept; no bitter after-taste was in place. For that, I finished two fried galunggong, not sparing their heads all the way to crispy tails. Much more, I fell in love with them with soy sauce dip on the side sizzling with crushed fresh chili siling labuyo.

By the time I’ve finished cleaning my plate, only then I realized that I still have a lot of things to do that day. For the amount of only P60.00, I was so full I could hardly jump unto my bike. I’m not sure when I’ll be back at Kuya Goring’s nipa hut. But definitely I’ll be there. Soon.

Another great plate for me. Thanks Kuya Goring.

(Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to take photos of Kuya Goring. I’ll have this updated as soon as I get back to him.)

1 comment: